Monday, December 10, 2007


The Humble Beginnings of England's Gilbert O'Sullivan and Gerry Dorsey
Pickwick/Capitol 1973
SPC-3334-A


A pleasant surprise picking this little gem up at the Crown Hill Value Village, and fortunate, too, because it's bloody expensive.

Side A is Gilbert O'Sullivan of "Alone Again (Naturally)" fame, and side B is Gerry Dorsey, AKA Englebert Humperdink, so I've never listened to it. I don't know who would.

Anyway, the Gilbert O'Sullivan side is full of pre-Himself demos, mostly just vocals and a really fantastic sounding studio piano with a lot of reverb, a far cry from some of the weird M.O.R. stuff he came up with later.

Song Highlights: "Get Out My Life", with a lyric that goes, "And if by chance I should just happen to see you again/I'll probably be so surprised I'll climb a tree/and yell out 'why me?!'"

No comments: